Monday, July 16, 2012

The Boys

I thought I would do a general update of the kids, since I'm a slacker blogger with (three) adoring fans/readers.

First, Colby. Colby is doing great. He graduated from his second yr of preschool in May, and is enjoying the summer. He has been in two sessions of swim lessons, which has been so much fun for everyone! I love to go and watch him take incredible strides, I can't believe he's swimming so well. He's easily jumping off diving boards, swimming underwater, he's loving it. I think Dad likes watching him because he sees him in the future, being on the swim team, following in his dad's footsteps.

We have recently been teaching him how to read- wow. He is doing so great! We've been doing a combination of readingeggs.com and Bob books. Usually most of his daily activities are done with a good deal of whining "I don't waaaaant to clean my roooom" but he is always up for reading!

He is memorizing the Articles of Faith with his Primary, and so far he has two!

He knows the 50 states song, and I try really hard to avoid bringing it up, because then he'll insist upon belting it out... and it is a very long song. I got him a map so he could see where all the states are, which he thought was pretty cool.

In our family we try to do a friend party once every four years, so I held a big party last yr. Well, this year he is convinced that he's going to get another one, and that it is going to be batman. I think he'll be sorely disappointed!

Colby got in the Upstart preschool program, which is on the computer 15 minutes a day. I'm excited to see how he'll progress!

Recently two of his cousins moved close. They used to live in California, and he is so obsessed with seeing them. He is always talking about where Sky and Kam's house is. :)

Parker is your typical 19 month old child :) He's adventurous, loud, and a very picky eater :)

Last week, on the way to the car after Colby's dentist appointment, Parker face-planted into the sidewalk. Luckily our pediatrician is in the same building, so I scooped him up and ran back inside. His entire face was covered in blood from a cut above his eye, and I knew from experience that I needed to go there to see if we needed to go to Primary Children's Hospital for stitches. It was kind of humorous (in retrospect) the looks we got. First the workers had a kind, happy "what can I do for you" look until they saw my blood-covered toddler, which quickly changed their looks into horror and action. I can't believe how quickly those nurses can rush us into a room, usually we have to wait 10 minutes or so. A doctor saw us immediately, and determined that he would be ok with liquid stitches. Although it was not what I needed that particular day, all's well that ends well. And I know that he is just going to be my accident-prone kiddo.

Parker is such a talker! He's starting to put words together. Colby was such a late talker, that this is so different for me. He will copy anything I say. I love his little "hello." and his 'up there!' when he wants me to hold him. I thought it was really cute when he learned to say "me!" like "who wants to eat dinner?" "me!" However, it has gotten less cute now that he's learned "Not me!" And he yells it over and over whenever we want him to do something that he doesn't like. Like when we try to take him off our bed, he yells "Not me! Not me!" over and over. He's learning to say prayers.

This little guy loves TV- his favorites are Elmo and Blue's Clues. He knows the entire Elmo's world theme song.

He's working on all four of his canine teeth, the super sharp ones. He is always chewing on toothbrushes (his favorite teething toy) and isn't sleeping through the night right now. Hopefully that will come back again.

When we're out shopping, he'll point out my bodyparts. I always have to block when he tries to point out my eyes, or else I'll get a little baby finger to the eyeball.



Lately, the boys have half loved each other, and half loathed each other. Either Colby's up in Parker's face bugging him, or Parker will be stealing Colby's trains.

I guess I'm just setting myself up for a lifetime of this. Which I am ok with, I live such a wonderful life these days :)



No comments:

Post a Comment